Wednesday 27 August 2014

Opa House Shoes!

I am not usually one for crochet clothing - to me there's something very naff and '70s about crocheted stuff to wear :P 

A few weeks ago, the amazing Tara Murray (Mamachee) had a special offer to celebrate a milestone - a free pattern from her Ravelry store! I know Anne raves about her patterns, so I just had to look through the list and pick something. That was when I found out she mostly designs hats and slippers! Gorgeous hats and slippers, but still... not my usual fare. 

But, reading through the list of patterns, I just fell in love with the look of her Opa House Shoes. I had to have it.

It took me a few goes to get the right combination of yarn and hook, and understand the pattern, but I got there. Phew!



That's my bizarre electric orange and grey mismatched pair for me - they are a bit wonky and strange where I was figuring out the pattern, but they are super warm and comfortable (that photo was taken last weekend, but I am also wearing them as I write this). 

Tonight, I did my first proper make of this pattern, in blue and black!  I ended up figuring out that for standard 8ply acrylic yarn, I needed to use 2 strands and a 5mm hook, and they came out pretty good (at least I think so!). I also added a tightening stitch around the heel to help them stay on better, and I left the "tongue" part off as I couldn't get it to sit straight rather than curly. I think it still looks ok! 




What do you think? If you've tried to make these slippers, I'd love to see them!!

No comments :

Post a Comment