Wednesday 17 September 2014

I lovve Baby Blankets!

Hello all!

I love to crochet baby blankets. Why? Well, there are several reasons:

1. They are quicker to finish than a full adult sized blanket.
2. There are so many different patterns to use. Baby blankets are perfect for trying out new stitches.
 3. I adore giving these blankets to newborn babies. So much more personal than bought gifts!
4. They are small enough to take with you when you are traveling/on the road.
5. Did I mention they are a lot of fun to make?!

Over the last years I made several blankets and gave them to newborns. One blanket even went to the son of my friend Afifa in Australia. Glad it got through customs without problems. :-)

The last 12 months have been full of new babies! I didn't take pictures of all the blankets (oh no!) but the following two will go to new homes soon. One to a little girl and one to a little boy. Hope they like it! They both took a long time (so 1. doesn't really apply here) because the yarn was very thin. It is baby yarn and so cuddly! Unfortunately, thin yarn seems to hurt my elbow, so I wasn't as quick with these blankets as I intended to be. I wonder if I hold the yarn differently or if I use a different tension, because I don't seem to have problems with thicker yarn.

Both of the blankets use the corner to corner pattern. Both are very light and therefore good for a snuggle underneath. The peppermint coloured one has a white stripe too by the way.


Sometime late last year, I was really fond of this pattern from Modern Grace Design. I made some blankets with it but most went to new homes already. 


I also made some with a rather easy but fancy looking stitch pattern. Unfortunately I can't remember where I found it. If you recognize the pattern, please comment, so that I can add the name of the designer!


Right now, I am done with baby blankets... I am now working on a large one as a Christmas present for my granny. 

What are you working on at the moment?

Take care
Anne

18 comments :

  1. Hi Anne! Wow, you have been busy with making beautiful blankets!!! :) Such lucky babies!
    I am also working on a large blanket, it is progressing well, I just blogged about it now, take a look!
    I remember you mentioning about the colours before, they sound really nice! Can we see some pictures soon? :)
    Have a lovely evening!
    (Here it is still 27 degrees at 7pm!) phew!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post pictures of the progress soon! :-) So war I am in row 45 and there are lots more to come! :-) I love, love, love the colours I am working with!

      I will head over to your blog to see how your blanket is going!

      Delete
  2. Elles sont toutes magnifiques! Gorgeous!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! :-) They were a lot of fun to make!

      Delete
  3. Good evening Anne, your baby blankets are wonderful, such bright colours! I have never crocheted a baby blanket because there are just no babies around us, the kids are already older but not old enough to have kids themselves. But the time will come. I started an adult size blanket but it will take me a few month to finish it, there are always other projects that want to be finished first. Have a nice evening, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with older children and teens, baby-sized blankets are very useful in the car and at sports etc.

      Delete
  4. I'm working on the pieces for a candy pony! Not sure yet whether it could be a rocking horse? or a unicorn? or a pegasus with wings!? Or all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are wonderful Anne,
    Neyal is enjoying the cuddles of blanket a lot. Thanks again. Afifa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad he likes the blanket! :-) How are you doing??? I would love to see more pics of your little boy!

      Delete
  6. Ganz schön! Lovely work. All of your blankets look fluffy and warm.
    Thank you for the link to the Modern Grace pattern too.
    My crochet is alternating between cardigan, hand towels and baby items (and blogs!) ;-)
    Enjoy your next granny blanket. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope they are warm! I reckon they are probably good for a stroller (pram). Autuum is arriving here in Germany, so an extra blanket can't hurt!

      My current blanket is C2C again. Oh, how much I love the colours! I will show them soonish!

      Delete
  7. Really beautiful and so colorful ! Like them ! Have a nice day and fun with your hook !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait to have some more fun with my hook tonight!

      Delete
  8. They're lovely!! And I bet they're very gratefully received :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I haven't heard any different yet ;-)

      Delete
  9. I love those colours! I hope you find out about your "fancy stitch" designer, because it looks great and I'd love to try it out! I also go so much slower with thinner yarns. I often wonder if it is because I learned with worsted weight (like the Red Heart Super Saver you got here). I always find the yarn slipping everywhere, off my hook, off my hand... But the end result is always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give my best! :-) I remember that is was really easy... Hmmmm.

      Delete